Friday, May 20, 2011

Playgroups

Playgroup-a group of small children, especially preschoolers, organized for play or play activities and supervised by adult volunteers. (dictionary.com)

Perhaps I should email those in charge of writing word definitions as I do not agree with how dictionary.com has defined the word playgroup. I suppose if you break down the word into two smaller words it would clearly indicate that a playgroup is a group that plays together. While there is definitely much truth to that, in my experience a playgroup is so so much more than kids playing and adults supervising. I have been lucky, blessed, privileged enough to be a member of multiple playgroups in the past 3 years. And for me a playgroup is really a group of mothers who regularly get their children together (to play, eat, learn, form friendships and create mostly enjoyable chaos) while they fulfill some of their own social and emotional needs including support, encouragement, advice, empathy, sympathy, discussion, brainstorming, laughter, tears, etc.

The playgroup we were a part of in Palatine meant a great deal to me. I cannot write well enough to explain the importance of those other moms in my life. I loved them dearly for many reasons. They impacted the way I mother my children. They were beyond generous. They were oodles of fun (ladies nights!). We did life together. They helped me keep my sanity. They love my children. I love their children. I wish Jack remembered those friends. Here is a picture from the last playgroup we had before moving. Everyone looks so little. I wish we could have brought everyone with us.

7 moms (not pictured, obviously), 15 kiddos and 2 sweet girls who were temporarily a part of the Johnson family.

Leaving that group was hard. I knew I wanted to find something like that again, but it can't just be thrown together on a whim. But here I am now a part of another group of moms, another playgroup. The kids are different, the moms are different, the personalities and relationships are different. But it is good. It is so good to have mommy friends. I'm excited for these growing relationships, both with the moms and the kids. I'm thankful that God has placed these women in my life at this time, for this season. And I'm looking forward to doing life with these friends.

4 moms (not pictured, duh), 9 kiddos (including 3 sets of twins!).

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun memory. The kids all look so little!! So glad that you have found a good group of friends there. As much of a blessing as I know it is to you, they are equally blessed to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm so blessed to have you in my life :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com