Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Play Ball!

I haven't played ball in years. My softball days ended with my college graduation. I've played a few miscellaneous games of slow pitch but that was before we had any kids. Today, however, was perhaps and end to my ball playing drought, sorta. Last week I signed Jack up for Peewee T-Ball/Soccer through the park district this summer. I'm not sure at the time he even knew what t-ball was, but he got super excited. This afternoon I took the kids over to Brunk's in Washington to try to find Jack a super small ball glove (and tiny shin guards for soccer). They had a glove that was small enough and I was excited to be buying Jack his first glove! He was super excited too. We played catch with an imaginary ball the whole drive back home. We also stopped by my parents to see if Papa was home cause Jack wanted to show Papa his new glove (honestly, Jack's idea not mine). I took Jack outside to play catch when we got home and oh my does he have a lot to learn. Duh. He started off wanting to throw the ball with his glove. He'd "catch" the ball with his glove and then keep the ball in his glove and throw it back. I patiently instructed him to try throwing with his non-gloved hand, but he repeatedly declined. At first it seemed as though he didn't believe me, then it was more that he didn't want to be told what to do. Later in the evening when we went out for another round of catch, this time I had my glove so I could demonstrate better. He actually started doing things the correct way for a while. Then he had a really wild throw I couldn't stop and he found it very entertaining to watch me run jog after it. So he started purposely throwing the ball in wild directions. Great fun. Obviously a 3 year old does not have the skills necessary for a quality game of catch. But we did have some quality time together and I loved getting out my glove after years of un-use and tossing a ball with my extremely enthusiastic son.
Proudly showing off his new glove.

He actually has a pretty decent arm when he decides he wants to throw correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com