Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Morning

Let me tell you about my morning. I spoke with our pediatrician just yesterday about what food the twins could be eating and what foods to stay away from still. We talked about eggs and honey and nuts and all sorts of things. Conclusion was that I could basically feed them whatever the rest of the family was eating, just no honey, cow's milk or choking hazards. So last night the twins enjoyed a lovely dinner of finger foods along with their normal baby foods. This morning as I warmed up a leftover pancake for Jack I thought, "Hey, why don't I see how the twins do with pancakes". So I cut one up into small pieces and they enjoyed pancakes for breakfast. Schaeffer really enjoys finger foods and pretty much devoured the entire half that I had given him. After the pancake I sat down and fed the boys their yogurt mixed with some oatmeal. I noticed Schaeffer's face was getting read and looked like some eczema which he has had in the recent past and I had also just discussed with the pediatrician. Though this time it was covering much more of his face than normal. After their yogurt I cleaned them up and put some Aquaphor on his face hoping that would help. Then I set the boys down to play while I cleaned up. I changed Schaeffer's diaper and before getting him dressed had to go to the bathroom to help Jack who had once again pooped in his underwear. While I was in the bathroom with Jack (and Logan) I heard some not great noises from Schaeffer. It sounded like he was gagging. So I ran to check on him and found in laying on the kitchen floor in a giant puddle of puke. Awesome. I scooped him and and tried cleaning him and the floor up while Jack ran around half naked and Logan, thankfully, enjoyed his own little world away from the mess. As I started looking Schaeffer over to try and figure out what might be wrong I noticed his belly had a rash on it and he was suddenly very congested. He started sneezing and coughing and gagging on mucus and his nose was just running like crazy and he was getting a little bit of a rash on his back and his arms. This all seemed quite strange so I grabbed my pancake recipe to see what was in them. Perhaps he was having an allergic reaction. Then I called the doctor and they confirmed that these were all signs of an allergic reaction to something and it had to be something in those pancakes since that was the only new thing he'd eaten. Thankfully, our neighbor, Trisha was home and had some Clara-tin which she brought over. Unfortunately, Schaeffer puked up his first dose of that (all over me of course) and I had to talk to the nurse for a third time. We gave him another dose and fortunately that one stayed down. Also quite fortunate was that Schaeffer was not having any breathing problems. Somehow during all this I manged to get underwear and pants on Jack, Logan's soggy diaper changed and Logan up to bed for his nap. I kept Schaeffer up from his nap to keep an eye on him. A little bit after the second dose of Clara-tin Schaeffer finally settled down and took a 15 minute nap. By the time he woke up from that his rash had gone away and his congestion and subsided. He was pretty much back to his usual self. Now we have to stay away from eggs and cinnamon, at least for now. I'm guessing it was the egg, though I really am secretly hoping it was just a fluke and Schaeffer's not actually allergic to anything.  Maybe at his 1 year appointment I'll take in an egg and have him eat it there just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com