Friday, April 8, 2011

I Love Bunco Night

I feel a little silly about saying so, but it's true. I love bunco night. I also feel a little old too. No offense to anyone else who plays bunco...but bunco groups are what my mom and other mom's of "kids" my age do. To me bunco has always been a bunch of ladies/mom's who get together, eat, chat and roll dice. I never knew what the dice were for, I assumed they were playing a complicated, mathematical game that I never understood. Turns out the dice rolling is just a ruse to get ladies together for some much desired social time. After subbing for my mom's bunco group in the fall I decided to start my own. I put out the word and started finding people who were interested. One thing about my mom's group that really intrigued me is how outside of bunco, you might never have guessed that these women were friends. They all come from different towns and backgrounds with a variety of personalities and interests. But bunco has united them into a group of women who have been rolling dice and sharing their lives for years, some of them decades. I wanted our group to be like that...a variety, women whom otherwise may have never met. We started up our bunco group in December and I was excited to realize that no one knew everyone else. Last night we had our 5th bunco night and at the end of the evening I just thought how much I enjoyed myself. I got my butt whipped. Lost every round and I have a handful of quarters (the loser's prize) to show for it. But I also have relationships to show for it. Turns out I'm getting older and bunco group is a great thing for women of my age to be a part of. Who knows how long we'll roll dice together but I'm thankful for the group we have now, however long it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com