Monday, December 20, 2010

All the Stockings Were Hung

A while back I was browsing Pottery Barn Kids online. I just love to look at their stuff. I have admired their stockings for several years and always think I should order some after Christmas when perhaps they might be on sale. So as I was contemplating this and deciding which stockings I would really like I discovered a problem. I didn't want five matching stockings, I wanted five coordinating stockings. You can't find that. All the ones I liked at PBK were different sizes or different styles. I couldn't put together five of the same size that were different yet similar. So then I had a brilliant idea. Paul loves it when I have brilliant ideas because they usually cost more money, take more time and cause more stress than I ever think they will. I decided it would be fun to make stockings for my family. My mom has made stockings for all her kids and grandkids and they are so cute, so I figured why couldn't I do that. I'm sure Paul groaned when I told him what I wanted to do. Now after hours of cutting and sewing our stockings are done! My mom was a big help in giving me directions and guidance and reminding me that they didn't need to be perfect. And Mrs. Johnson, a friend of my mom's, did all the names for me and let me borrow her sewing machine to do some fancy stitches. I'm so glad I didn't break her machine even after sewing right through a pin! I think they turned out super cute and I learned something in the process. If you're going to make stockings for your family, you shouldn't give your children long names. What were we thinking using the name Schaeffer? It has 9 letters! That's not easy to fit on a stocking. Regardless, they all turned out cute and coordinating. And now we all have stockings for what I hope are many memory filled Christmases to come.

Did you notice all the extra stocking hangers on the mantel? Those would be for the 12 stockings my parents hang for their kids and grandkids. I'd show you a picture of that sight, but three of the stockings are new this year and have not been "presented" to their owners yet. Well, actually that's not true. Mainly just George's since I helped make Logan and Schaeffer's. So we'll wait and keep George's a surprise until Christmas. It's really cute.

1 comment:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com