Monday, June 25, 2012

Jumping Jack

Last week while Hailey, Micah and Mari were with us we played at the park one day for quite a while. The kids spent a lot of their time watching people jump off the diving boards at the pool. All during lunch they oohed and ahhed over the jumpers and their big splashes. Knowing we were going to a pool party at the end of the week I asked the kids if they wanted to try jumping off those diving boards. Previously, Jack had informed me that he was too small and he needed to be bigger to do that. I told him he was plenty big and kept encouraging him and his swim teacher helped him practice during swim lessons. So Hailey and Jack both decided they were going to make the jump. Just like Hailey, Jack got nervous once we got to the pool and the first few times I asked him he said he wasn't ready. His swim teacher found us later and I left the two of them alone knowing she would have a better chance at convincing him. Sure enough a few minutes later they climbed out of the pool and walked over to the boards. Without letting him know it, I quickly hopped out, grabbed the camera and followed. I was really hoping he would go through with it. He waited in line and when it was his turn he climbed up onto the board. He looked a little nervous and was shivering noticeably, but almost without hesitation he jumped to his teachers waiting arms. To my surprise (from what I could tell) she didn't really catch him. He went pretty far under and kicked himself back up and together they swam to the side. Then also to my surprise he immediately got back in line. He jumped several more times each time more shivery and less nervous. Way to go buddy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com