Sunday, June 24, 2012

Camp Natalie

This post is loaded with pictures so I will try to let them do most of the talking. We had an exciting week here last week as we got to spend it with the Winkelman kids. My parents and I offered to take the kids for the week when my sister's mother-in-law (the planned babysitter) ended up in the hospital. Amanda and Matt were scheduled to leave for a mission trip to Chicago and I know Amanda had really been looking forward to going, so Mom and I talked her into letting us keep the kids. I'll be honest, it was an exhausting week and by the end my patience was gone and I was falling asleep at 8 o'clock on the couch. Despite that, we had a really fun week full of activities. It was fun to have them and when I went to tell them good bye Amanda informed me that she was already hearing all about what she termed "Camp Natalie". I didn't intend to be camp-like but I found that if we had something to do besides "play" that the afternoons went a lot smoother. So please don't think I do this with my kids every week. I don't! Without further ado, here are the pictures.

We did quite a bit of swimming. A few times in the backyard with the water slide, a morning at the Morton toddler pool and an evening at the Morton pool for a party. Micah's not a big swimmer so I was nervous how he would do. Turns out he loved the toddler area and I only had to walk through it once with him before he was comfortable. And they all had a blast setting up the water slide in the backyard.

Naked Eggs
This was our first "thing". The kids wanted something to do, I had pinned this, it looked easy and I had everything. So we filled some jars with vinegar, added an egg and then waited a few days. I talked to the kids about experiments because I didn't want them to be crushed if this didn't work. So the first day they each made a hypothesis about what they thought might happen to the egg. We put the eggs in on Tuesday and we took them out on Friday. They really were naked eggs, squishy and bouncy and translucent...and very easily broke. Just ask Jack. The kids loved this and talked about them much of the week.

We also got messy making pizza dough for lunch one day. Made lava lamps with oil, water, food coloring, glitter and alka-seltzer. Made mini volcanoes with trays of baking soda and colored vinegar. Made sun catchers out of plastic beads, which I didn't get a picture of. And made play-dough lollipop cookies, most of which I made. :) They really seemed to enjoy the sciencey things.

Here are some general photos of the crew.

Friday night our church children's ministry had a pool party so Mom brought Micah and Hailey. Hailey said all day she was going to jump off the diving board. I was surprised how much she wanted to do it. Once at the pool she got a little nervous, but without much prodding she decided she was ready. She got in line and climbed on the board and walked out to the end. That's when I knew we had a problem. This girl doesn't jump in the pool. She falls in the pool holding my hands. I cheered for her and encouraged her and told her to just fall in. Jack's swim teacher was there to catch her. She couldn't bring herself to do it and eventually walked off the board. I went to hug her and encourage her and she burst into tears. I felt so bad. But she was so brave to go out there. I just kept telling her that. I was so proud of her for trying to do something she was scared of. When she was crying I asked her what was wrong and she just said she didn't know. Poor girl, it's like that the rest of your life. We girls are often crying and don't know why!

So that was our week. A little bit crazy. But I think a lot fun for the kids and some great bonding time for me and my nieces and nephew.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com