Sunday, June 24, 2012

Compassion Day 2012

Every year our church dedicates a Saturday in May to serving our communities. Last year we didn't participate but this year I was eager to get involved. So eager that the first morning they announced sign ups in church I jumped on my phone and signed us up before announcements were even done. I really wanted Jack to be a part of this experience and since we signed up so early we got our pick of projects. We chose to serve at the construction site of our new church home. I thought it would be fun to see the progress and since we talk about the new church nearly every time we drive by, I thought Jack would enjoy it as well. Plus I had a feeling he would be free to run around there more than some other places. Due to some muddy conditions our plans for the day were altered and instead of picking up trash we pulled weeds in the future parking lots and picked up logs and debris along the grassy banks that will one day be prairie grass. What I loved about the day was getting to work alongside my husband and my son to the benefit our our church home and especially to the glory of God. It was such a neat opportunity to talk to Jack about what it means to serve and how often times serving is not doing something we love but doing something that needs to be done to help others. He was a trooper and brought smiles to everyone in our group. He was the only little kid there and he held his own. Not unlike Jack, he befriended all the older kids and got to work alongside them and play with them during the down times. During lunch he talked their ears off spinning all sorts of tales and they were thoroughly entertained. We frequently see Grant, Jack's best friend from Compassion Day, after church and Jack is always excited to run up to him and say hi and get a little silly with him. I've mentioned this to some people before, one thing I just love about Harvest is the kids. I'm sure Harvest is not the only church with great youth, but so many older boys are kind and wonderful and silly with the little boys. Jack knows so many junior high and high school boys and they seem to genuinely enjoy Jack and the other little kids.

Walking in with Daddy.

Puddle heaven.

Picking up sticks with the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com