Monday, June 27, 2011

Me, A Runner?

Call me crazy but I'm starting a running program. I've always been very anti-running. I'm not fast. I've never found it enjoyable. I've always found it painful. I chose sports that didn't require a lot of running. I've always claimed that it's horrible for your joints (and I still think it is). But despite my better judgement I've started a running program. The bottom line is, I need to lose weight and get in better shape. Three kids took their toll on my already not slim body and now the scale reads numbers that make me cringe. The thing is, I don't have hours to work out every day. The gym costs money that I'd rather go towards college funds and house projects. And the gym requires loading and unloading three small children and then most likely getting called from working out to deal with a child having separation anxiety. So for now, the gym is not calling my name. Perhaps one day it will again. I considered doing a video at home. I even bought it and did the first 1.5 workouts. Problem is that workout plan required 6 days a week with a minimum of 45 minutes a day. That is a big time commitment for me right now. Plus it turns out I am not currently strong enough to make it through the first week of workouts. So that is on the back burner. I'm still very interested, but the time commitment is unrealistic and I need to be in better shape to even consider doing it full time. I might try to mix in a few of the workouts with my running though. We'll see. Then I heard about this popular running program called Couch to 5K. It sorta seems like all the rage to me right now, but whatever. Goers is doing it and liking it so far and she along with other runners I know have inspired me. I keep seeing other people running races and completing triathlons and I think it would be so great to have the ability to do those things. So I'm inspired. Plus the C25K requires only 30 minutes, 3 times a week. That time commitment sounds so much more doable to me. The other great things is I'm doing it with people and accountability is always a good thing. So who knows, maybe by the end of the summer I'll be able to run a 5K. I think that's a fairly high expectation so my real goals are this: 1) complete the program 2) run in the Pumpkin Festival 2 mile run in September. Check back with me to see how this non-runner is doing with her running program.

1 comment:

  1. i know you can do it!!! good idea. in my opinion, it is much more manageable than taking kids to the gym. keep me posted on your progress. i hated running but when i ran this year it was so great to have some time alone that i really enjoyed it more than hating it :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com