Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Baby Story

I'm really behind on posting and I apologize! It's so hard to get caught up too, especially with all that is going on. So for now let me tell you about the newest additions to our family. Schaeffer and Logan were officially welcomed into our family on Monday morning, July 19. We went to the hospital Sunday evening and the twins were born about 11 hours later. When we got to the hospital we had an ultrasound to check the positions of the boys and determine if we would have a c-section or try and deliver naturally. The doctor doing the ultrasound had a difficult time figuring out what she was looking for and even suggested that perhaps there were three babies in there instead of two! I told her there was no way, she must be confused. After a lot of search and pushing around on my belly she determined that both boys were vertex...head down. Praise the Lord! This meant there was a possibility for the natural delivery we had been praying for. I had determined ahead of time that I would get an epidural this time, even though I was hesitant. My thinking was that in case I needed a c-section for Baby B, I wouldn't have to be put completely under if I already had an epidural going. So around 11 o'clock I got my epidural. Paul left the room and my mom and the nurse sat with me through that tolerable but not terribly pleasant experience. I wasn't sure what to expect with an epidural, but I was pleased that I didn't lose all feeling from the waist down. I was still able to wiggle my toes and move my legs if I tried really hard. I couldn't feel contractions but sometimes I could tell I was having one. Shortly after the epidural they broke Baby A's water bag. After that my contractions were about every 2-3 minutes and pretty strong according to the machine. But then every once in a while they would slow down to like 6 minutes. This continued all night long but did not result in very speedy progression. We probably moved along at about a cm every 2 hours. On top of that I was developing a cold and had a bad sinus headache, a stuffed up nose, a soar throat, and my left eye got swollen. It was lovely. Around 6:15/6:30 in the morning Dr. Ankrah came in and checked me. I was at an 8. Dr. Ankrah decided it was time to go to the operating room and start pushing. Mom and Paul were both out of the room for the moment..of course. So we had to wait for Paul to get back and change into his scrubs. Finally, they wheeled me into the operating room (we had to deliver in there in case of a c-section). Everything got set up and before you knew it I was pushing Baby A out. It took a few tries to remember/learn how to push with an epidural but within a few contractions Baby A was born and we heard his first beautiful cries. Then they broke Baby B's water bag. We were going to do a quick ultrasound to check his position, but then Dr. Ankrah saw his head and grabbed it while the nurse tried to push on my belly and hold him in place. We didn't want him squirming away and turning himself around. When the next contraction came around we were ready and I pushed with all I had. A contraction or two later Baby B was born. I just laid their and stared at my babies while Dr. Ankrah finished things up and I was so happy to hear that they both looked healthy and both were bigger than Jack! And everyone was so excited that we didn't end up needing a c-section. Apparently that is somewhat rare in the world of twin delivery. But I have an awesome doctor who helped maneuver those boys out and was super supportive and encouraging during my whole pregnancy. She and the nurse were my cheerleaders convincing me I had what it took to push those babies out.

Baby A is now Schaeffer Lee
born at 7:16 am
6 pounds 4 ounces
20 inches long
Schaeffer is a name Paul and I liked, but also the name of a dear friend of mine from my adopted college family...Schaeffer Bell. Lee is my dad's middle name (and coincidentally Schaeffer Bell's middle name).

Baby B is now Logan William
born at 7:21 am
5 pounds 10 ounces
19 inches long
Logan is a name that Paul and I liked (we know no other Logan's). William is my maternal grandpa's middle name, Paul's paternal grandpa's middle name, Paul's brother's middle name and our nephew Kyle's middle name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com