Thursday, January 6, 2011

Potty Training

Potty training...ugh. I am not a fan. So many messes, such slow progress, so many questions and variables. With every accident my frustration grows as do my questions about my competency as a parent. Should the two be related...probably not. But last night after our first day of potty training with no success and no sign of being close to success I was convinced that motherhood was not for me. Perhaps it's a bit too late to be making such decisions! Obviously my ability to be rational has been compromised somewhere along the way (Paul could have told you that years ago). But this post is not all about my frustrations and mental state. Because today was a new day.
We started off today similar to yesterday. Sitting on the potty to know avail, wearing undies and peeing all over. After the third accident (two of them while I was in the middle of nursing!) we took of the wet undies and didn't put any back on. Finally, he didn't insist that he needed undies and allowed himself to run around half naked. After a while as I was getting ready to change Logan's stinky diaper I noticed he was just starting to pee. I plopped Logan down and grabbed Jack while I told him he was peeing and needed to sit on the potty. I grabbed him and sat him down which prompted a major fit. His butt cheeks barely hit the seat when he was already up again tearing down the hall with his dump truck leaving a trickle of a pee trail through the kitchen. I followed that and found him in the bathroom with a big puddle at his feet. As soon as I got there he left again and went back to his little potty in the living room where he promptly sat down peed some more! I nearly missed it because I figured he has just had an accident and had gone to finish with Logan's poopy diaper. But sure enough he finally peed in the potty at least a little! Perhaps this is a sign of things to come, though I'm sure there will be many, many more accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com