Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad!

My dad just turned 60. I used to think that sounded old. But the older I get the younger those big numbers seem. My dad doesn't seem old, he just seems like dad. But since it's kind of a big number and a new decade and all that we decided to throw him a little party. My family is not really big into birthday parties. I normally send a text or a phone call when it's someone's birthday and if they are lucky they get a card. But this year my sisters and I decided we should all get together for the day and have some fun and call it a birthday party for dad :). So that's what we did. We hung out all day. We took the kids on a nature hike around the property and managed to find the remains of the snapping turtle that lost it's life at the hand's of my father earlier this spring. The snapping turtle has been a favorite story of Jack's this summer and without giving it much thought I told him he could take some of the bones home to put on his dresser. I was thinking, "wouldn't I be a cool mom if I let me son display bones from a turtle shot by his papa in his room?" I wasn't thinking how dirty and gross they were and how would we clean them or sanitize them. So several of the kids collected lots of bones and carried them the rest of our hike. Later that afternoon we tried boiling them...cause that's what they do with bones on the TV series "Bones" according to Megan. That created a terrible stench in the kitchen just as we were cooking dinner. It was awful and we got concerned that we were destroying the bones so that only lasted maybe 10 minutes. Then following some hasty Internet research we decided to soak them in a bleach/water bath for a while. I have no idea if we succeeded in cleaning or sanitizing but regardless Jack now has a pile of turtle bones on his dresser. The first night we put them there he was up long past bedtime with his light on just sitting in bed looking at his turtle bones laying on his dresser. Not accidentally everyone else left their bones at Mom and Dad's house when the drove home. This will always be, "Remember that time we boiled the turtle bones?"


Besides collecting bones, the kids also got to go on tractor rides which is always a favorite activity. Dad drove round and round with one grand-kid after another on his lap. And when Micah and Jack couldn't agree who should go first Dad took them both and miraculously I snapped this great photo of the three of them. Dad is rarely looking and smiling when we take pictures and getting a three and a four year old to do the same is almost impossible. 


 Much fun was had a Grandma and Papa's house this day, both inside and outside.  

George being goofy.

A favorite activity of the little ones.

We played hard all morning, ate a yummy lunch and then put as many children down for naps as we could. The older kids got to watch a movie. Then Mom and I went shopping for dinner supplies and we spent the rest of the afternoon figuring out what to make for dessert, what we forgot at the store, cooking dinner, tie dying shirts for the P-fest and generally enjoying each other's company. We do have fun together. That evening we set up tables on the deck to enjoy the really beautiful evening and ate a very yummy dinner all together. It was really a wonderful time celebrating Dad and enjoying some much needed time as a whole family. After dinner and dessert we cleaned up and fed the fish. I find the dock crowded with just my three boys so to have 7 kids out their plus several adults was REALLY crowded. I stayed away, I was sure someone would fall in. Just look at those boys laying on the edge. 



In my opinion it was a wonderful day. I hope my dad agrees, I think he does. We love him so much and we are so thankful to celebrate his 60th birthday with him. I think he is blessed beyond measure and because of him, so are we. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com