Monday, January 23, 2012

Spotted Schaeffer



This is hives. I suppose in theory I knew what hives were, but to see them covering my Schaeffer from head to toe was a site I couldn't have imagined. And I'm sure they could even have been worse! These pictures were taken at about his worst. Thankfully, as bad as I think they look, he really seemed very un-bothered by them. I only noticed him scratching a few times over the three days he had them. I guess we don't know for certain but the reigning theory is that amoxicillin is to blame. Thursday morning I woke up at 8:15. That's a problem because Jack has school on Thursdays and we are typically getting coats on at 8:15, not rolling out of bed. So I rushed to get Jack dressed, fed and in the van. I took Schaeffer's last dose of amoxicillin to his room and administered it while he was still in his crib and without even turning the lights on or changing diapers I put Schaeffer and Logan's coats on them in their cribs and whisked them straight to the van. Once buckled I gave them some gogurt and milk and we were off. Jack made it to school in time and as I was unbuckling him at school I noticed a few spots on Schaeffer's face that I thought looked kinda like bug bites. I thought hmm...that's strange I'll ask the doctor about them this morning while we are there for their 18 month well visits. We went straight from school to the doctors office. At this point I had still barely looked at the twins, we were just trying to get everywhere on time. We got settled in our little room at the pediatrician's and started taking off jammies and very full diapers to get on the scale. Logan went first, no issues. Then I got Schaeffer out of the stroller and started taking his clothes off and I said "oh. hmmm. I guess he has hives?" in a very confused voice. The nurse confirmed and I explained that I had no idea how long he'd had them or when they started, this was really my first look at him since I grabbed him out of bed in a rush. I felt kinda silly not knowing that he had hives until then, but I was completely relieved that this discovery was made in the presence of a nurse because had I discovered it at home I would have totally started bawling. After discussing with the nurse and doctor the things Schaeffer had been exposed to that morning it was determined that the final dose of amoxicillin was the most likely cause. Wierd, but whatever. Everyone took an interest in Schaeffer's "spots". Logan poked at them and grinned and Jack asked tons of questions. I tried to explain that the medicine had cause these spots. Jack took that to mean that I spilled medicine on Schaeffer's face and that's what he told people. Thankfully, the spots have almost entirely faded away now and Schaeffer is none the worse for wear. Suppose we'll just be avoiding amoxicillin in the future. Hopefully, those pesky ear infections stay away so we don't need it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com