Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sticker Charts

We've done sticker charts before but the concept was always slightly lost on Jack and they usually took a long time to complete. But a little while back when it seemed like Jack might never go a day without peeing or pooping in his underwear, I decided to give it a try again. I like the idea of positively reinforcing good behavior, rather than always being upset over bad behavior. This time he really took to it and it seemed to make a big difference in the number of accidents he was having. His reward for filling his chart was a trip to Monkey Joe's which we took last Friday. I was especially thoughtful and let him take his buddy Silas. In reality, this made the adventure easier for me because with a friend along, I didn't have to climb in all those bouncers! Si and Jack had a great time together and I really enjoyed listening to their conversation in the car. Si said, "Jack I'm so glad you are my friend". Jack asked Si, "Silas, do you like tractors?". They talked about the moon and whether or not all the lights in a town go off at bedtime. They played a wildly silly game using the straws in their cups to make funny sounds. It's just so fun to listen to them have little discussions and to also be silly boys. We had a great time together and I'm pretty sure they are both ready to go back at a moments notice.

Since the potty sticker chart was going so well we decided to start another sticker chart for staying in bed at night. When we first started potty training Jack he discovered his ability to get out of bed. I'd say we didn't handle things super great initially and it sorta snowballed into a nightmare routine every evening of fighting with Jack to keep him in his room at night. Then a few weeks ago, he wasn't feeling too well and he stayed in bed two nights in a row. We jumped at the opportunity to reinforce such good behavior (even if it was only due to sickness). I drew up his second sticker chart and he totally ran with the idea. He needed to earn 18 stickers and he could only get a sticker if he didn't come out of his room even once at night. Miraculously he earned his 18 stickers in 18 consecutive nights. I'm hoping we can continue this positive behavior now that the chart is full, but if not I will be making another one! For this chart we let him select one, mom and dad approved, toy. We purchased it and sat it on top of the refrigerator to remind him what he was working for. Last night was night 18 and this morning he got his new remote control trickster car, wich Paul thoroughly tested out last night.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the sticker charts! Very good behavior management Nat! I try to get parents to use these all the time but it's difficult to follow through. I'm so proud of you and Jack! :)

    I also LOVE the conversation Jack had with his friend about the lights in a town. What bright boys to think such big thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com