Thursday, April 11, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow

With retirement comes some spare time and when you've worked or gone to school for the last 55 years approximately it's not always easy to fill your suddenly empty days. So my mom suggested to my dad that he start a garden with the help of Jack and myself. I have been contemplating a garden for the last year or so but it intimadates me because I tend to kill anything I have ever tried to grow. Dad has a bit more experience with gardening than I do even if it has been years decades since he's done it, so I thought this could be fun. I also thought Jack might enjoy having a project with his Papa and learning about how plants grow. We tilled up a plot of land last week and on the windiest day possible we put our first seeds into the ground. The kids have had a blast running around outside and exploring Papa's land. They've offered help here and there with the garden and proved themselves to be decent potato planters when they weren't trampling the onions. Perhaps they're favorite part so far though is getting to ride in Papa's truck when it's time to go in for lunch. It will be interesting to see how our garden does this year. Hopefully, we get a little something out of it, but if not it will still be great time spent with Dad and the kids.

Schaeffer the expert tiller.

Just the beginning.


Logan's pretty good with the hammer.

 
Jack and Logan-expert potota planters.

Schaeffer digging with Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com